CHICKEN ROLLS with Crispy Almond/Rye Breading
Makes 3 entrees, 4 servings each
1 tray (about 6#) boneless, skinless, chicken half breasts
12 rye crispbread (such as Wasa) crackers, ground into crumbs (see note)
3/4 cup smoked almonds, finely ground (Blue Diamond: found in snack aisle)
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese
6 one-gallon freezer bags, label 3
NOTE: Use food processor to finely ground rye crispbreads and smoked almonds.
1. Rinse and trim chicken as desired. Lay out two shallow dishes. Combine rye crispbread crumbs and ground almonds in one dish. To keep breading from absorbing excess moisture from the eggs, pour half the breading mixture into a small bowl and set aside; use this to refill the shallow breading dish as it empties. Put the egg whites in the second dish.
2. Working with 4-6 half breasts at a time, lay each piece of chicken, smooth side down, between two sheets of wax paper. Pound chicken to 1/2-inch thickness with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. Note the number of chicken pieces. Set chicken aside.
3. Slice the block of cream cheese lengthwise into two long strips, then cut the strips into cubes equal to the number of chicken half breasts.
4. Spread one cream cheese cube on each piece of chicken. Starting from the widest end of each half breast, roll the chicken and secure the end with a toothpick. Dip the chicken into the egg whites, then roll through the breadcrumb mixture until well covered. Place each chicken roll on a rimmed baking sheet. Discard remaining egg and breading.
5. Place coated chicken rolls in freezer for 1 hour. Divide frozen rolls evenly among the double-bagged freezer bags. Seal and return to freezer.
Chicken Rolls Date:_____________
Remove rolls from freezer and place in
greased 9-inch square pan. Cover; place
in refrigerator to thaw completely. Bake
uncovered at 350° for 45-60 minutes, or
until cooked through.